When you hear the word Library, you connect it to the term Books. Books play a vital role in our life. Books are created through the processes of thoughts, ideas, concepts, views, experiences, knowledge, etc.
“A good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit”
And a library is the platform for preserving and effectively using the information contained in these books.
Library is considered as part and parcel of every academic set-up. It is created to serve and support the educational activities of the school. Library provides important information, ideas and knowledge that equips students with learning skills, triggers creative thinking and enables them to adapt self-learning methods.
The SCS Library provides access to elaborative academic resources for all school-students, faculty and administrative staff. Our reading rooms are well equipped with books, magazines and periodicals dealing with diverse topics of interest. Teachers and students are always involved in making the books collection up-to-date. Regular and timely funds are therefore released for purchase of new reading materials. The SCS Library also offers a very comfortable seating arrangement.
SCS Library Objectives:
- Bringing Children and Books together to provide a learning and enjoyable experience
- Information provision - provide resources for different constituents of school education
- Develop Reading ability and interest
- Generate Self Learning techniques
- Facilitate a well-equipped resource centre
- Carve a pathway to inculcate economic, social and cultural values using books as the medium
"The Real purpose of books is to trap the mind into doing its own thinking".
While we take efforts to continuously equip our library resources, it is the responsibility of each member of the Carmelian Family to abide by certain library rules that support in maintaining a well-coordinated library.
SCS Library Rules:
- Books from the library are issued to the students during the Library period as assigned in the Class Time-Table. Only one book is issued at a time. Reference books are not issued.
- The complete book detail is entered in the Library Register before the book is issued to any student or teacher.
- Books are issued for the use of the borrower only. Hence, the borrower must not lend or exchange them with his/her classmates.
- Books must be examined by the borrower before leaving the library and any damage, must be brought to the Librarian’s notice. The borrower will be held responsible for any damage to the book while in his/her charge.
- Books should not be kept by the borrower for more than 7 days. They may however, be extended on permission for a further period of 7 days provided that they are not in demand by other borrowers.
- Failure to return a book in expire of the maximum period of 14 days will involve the payment of a fine of Rs. 10/- per day.
- The borrower who loses a book will have to pay the full price of the book or replace the same.
- All library books must be returned one month before the Terminal and Final Examinations. No Library books are issued during vacations.
- Habitual carelessness in handling books of the Library and unruly conduct towards the Library Assistants will render a student liable to suspension from further use of the library.
"Reading maketh a full man".
When you hear anything, you tend to forget it sooner than the activities you see. But when you do any activity practically, it stays in the mind for a longer duration. This is exactly what we practice at SCS.
At school, the lab activities engage students’ minds to give them a hand on experience on concepts and theories that are taught in the classroom. SCS provides spacious laboratories that can accommodate 50 students on an average at a time. The laboratories are equipped with latest and modern facilities. Each year, new equipment is added to our laboratories. We stress on maintaining a hygienic environment for conducting experiments and also make sure that the safety gadgets are in place.
We aim at working towards the following objectives by making laboratory teaching an integral part of our curriculum:
- Develop analytical, scientific skills
- Trigger inquisitiveness
- Analyse concepts in terms of working with hypothesis, theoretical models
- Boost problem solving and critical thinking abilities
- Understand the connect between science and technology
- Develop work related abilities like curiosity, awareness, precision, out of the box thinking, perseverance, etc
At SCS, the Maths lab has been specifically setup to explore mathematical concepts through activities and experimentation. The lab gives opportunities to students to work with concrete objects and situations.
Visuals and models give shape to well defined theory concepts where children learn by doing. Children work on projects and are more involved in the subject as concrete charts, models, pictures, graphs help in demonstrating abstract mathematical ideas. The usage of objects in real time aids in relating mathematics to everyday life.
The main aim is to help students enjoy Mathematics as a subject, enhance problem solving abilities and provide greater scope for individual participation.
Science as a subject is way different from any other subject that a student takes up in school. Teaching science requires a very different approach.
At SCS, we pay heed to improving the overall science literacy. To best accomplish this, we combine classroom teaching with science laboratory experiments. Students perform experiments using various tools and techniques which in turn helps them develop scientific arguments.
SCS has well equipped Biology, Physics and Chemistry labs where regular lab practicals/experiments are conducted for all children from class VI onwards. The experiments are closely reviewed, analysed and logically reasoned out. We focus on scientific learning methods in our laboratories in order to develop skills that are necessary for further study or research.
SCS facilitates a wider audience participation as we have well equipped halls where meetings, quizzes, seminars, competitions, contests and other programmes are conducted using audio-visual aids.
SCS has a very elaborative Computer Science Department. The Computer Education as part of computer awareness programme, starts from Class I. All classes right from I-XII are trained for computer and its applications.
Highlights of Computer education at SCS:
- Well Equipped computer labs
- Trained faculty in the department who works with the most modern teaching aids
- Use CD's as per the C.B.S.E. syllabus to educate children with multimedia
- Computers are timely upgraded with latest software which enables teachers and students to work effectively
- Effective layout for group work/assignments
- Constant access to the internet in school
From class I to VI, students undergo a basic course in Computer Education (covering computer fundamentals, basics of key board handling, windows and basics of MS-Office).
From Class VII to X, the students are exposed to certain programming concepts in Q-Basic, Detailed study of MS-Office and HTML programming.
Informatics Practice (IP) is included as an option in all the streams. Commerce, Medical and Non-Medical students for 'IP' are selected according to their scores in Maths and Science in the class X Pre-Boards Exams. Students are acquainted with technical topics like JAVA, SQL Plus and Software Development by the end of the session.
When working in Computer Labs, the teachers help the students to explore the world of computers and internet by following a meticulous schedule of practical classes. It is essential for all Carmelians to follow certain rules while using the computer labs:
- No Food or Drink
- Keep the workstations neat
- Keep the files organized on the system
- Ensure internet surfing safety
- Don’t change settings on computer
- Print only when necessary
We understand that computers and their usage is essential in every walk of life. Computers help to tailor instructions to individual students, aid in interactive learning sessions, enhance language skills, simplify tedious tasks, help in study assignments and projects, facilitate information search, help faster and effective communication, helps one to stay globally connected, etc. Therefore, computer classes and lab sessions are conducted keeping this in view.
Extra attention is paid to motivate students to use computers and internet to keep in pace with today’s fast moving world. While we want our children to stay up to date with the changing trends, we also ensure that incorrect usage of internet is avoided. Safety measures in this respect are duly taken.
Educomp Smart Class
SCS uses Technology Integrated Teaching in the form of Educomp Smart Class, which has rapidly transformed the way teachers teach and students learn. Smart Class involves innovative and meaningful use of technology in order to improve students’ productivity in class. The use of Smart Classes has numerous benefits, a few of which are highlighted below:
- Smart Class brings in technology right next to the blackboard for teachers in the classrooms
- Students learn difficult and abstract curriculum concepts watching highly engaging visuals and animations
- Use of Smart Class makes learning an enjoyable experience for students while improving their overall academic performance
- The program helps teachers in keeping the students engaged in the learning process
- Smart Class also enables instant formative assessment of learning outcomes in class